Job Postings - Current Positions
The Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation is committed to increasing cancer survivorship in Eastern Ontario and is the only local charitable organization dedicated exclusively to cancer. Working to transform the cancer experience, the Cancer Foundation has partnered with local hospitals and service providers to ensure residents have the best possible care close to home, shorter wait times, access to the latest research and new therapies and overall improved quality of life- which includes Canada’s first Centre for Cancer Survivorship. The Centre offers “Cancer Coaching”, an innovative health service that actively engages survivors in their own health and well-being, connects them to the information and services they need to meet the challenges of their disease, improve their overall quality of life. For more information about the Cancer Foundation, please visit www.ottawacancer.ca
Nutrition Coach (1 position available)
Volunteer, Part-Time (3 positions available)
Position Title: Nutrition Coach
Reports to: Vice President, Social Enterprise & Strategic Communications
Direct Reports: N/A
Do you want the chance to lead the advancement of Nutrition programming to help improve the lives of cancer survivors? Are you passionate about health and wellness and all aspects of nutrition? Do you want to work for a Foundation that cares about its employees as much as it cares about the community?
If your answer is yes to the above questions then keep on reading!
The Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation is seeking a dynamic individual to lead the advancement of our Nutrition programming. This individual will help create nutrition-based programming to meet the needs of Cancer Coaching clients and develop content that will be applicable to the general population to improve overall health and wellness. Reporting to the Vice President of Social Enterprise & Strategic Communications, the individual will be a key member of the organization’s new and innovative Social Enterprise structure!
The ideal candidate is passionate about the importance of innovative professional practice, teamwork, best practices, quality improvement, continuing education/professional development, and demonstrates a commitment to the communities we serve.
About the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation
The Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation is the voice for cancer survivorship in Eastern Ontario.
The Cancer Foundation is a leader in our community in providing local residents with increased access to person-centered care through the delivery of the Cancer Coaching health and social care service, innovative cancer research and a world-class clinical trials program.
For more information please visit www.ottawacancer.ca.
- Develop customized nutrition programs to meet specific target markets as identified;
- Present nutrition programs to corporate clients and general public;
- Consult with key stakeholders, the public, staff, community partners and other professionals in order to ensure Cancer Foundation nutrition programming effectively meets the Ontario Public Health Standards;
- Develop quality control; satisfaction measurements; and report impact;
- Identify areas of growth within the nutrition portfolio;
- Proactively identify issues related to nutrition best practices, and provide analysis and recommendations to influence programs, initiatives and policy development;
- Provide advice regarding research reviews, critical appraisals, policy support and program planning and evaluation;
- Serve as a representative of the Cancer Foundation to promote the Social Enterprise within the community;
- Promote nutrition programming benefits to Cancer Foundation staff;
- Coordinate the recruitment of Nutrition interns and mentor their development;
- Conduct information recording, gathering, processing, and dissemination functions which may include: Nutrition client data collecting, inputting, and updating of databases; overall sharing of information on processes, policies and procedures with other employees or volunteers; and manually and/or electronically disseminating information to staff, volunteers and clients;
- Monitor “new client Nutrition registration’’ e-mail address and print new registrations;
- Follow-up and track all Nutrition clients to monitor their progress and ensure quality control and excellence in guest experience;
- Troubleshoot with clients who experience difficulty using the online platform;
- Carry out scheduling functions for the Nutrition Programs, using the online platform.
- Facilitate client flow in the Maplesoft Centre by being aware of delays, and communicating with clients and Cancer Coaches;
- Respond to clients, prospective clients and guest inquiries (by phone or in person) in a courteous manner;
- Protect client confidentiality and ensure protected health information is secured;
- Prepare basic resource utilization reports using the online platform as required, at regular intervals;
- Train program volunteers on various administrative tasks ensuring their understanding of processes and procedures for various situations;
- Perform filing functions using manual and/or electronic file systems, updating reference materials, and archiving, where required;
- Responsible for ensuring nutrition program supplies are prepared in advance of programming to ensure maximum guest experience;
- Keep the kitchen area clean and organized, maintain office furniture in the reception area and patio, and manage the key system;
- Stay up to date and knowledgeable on the various services provided at the Maplesoft Centre and the related processes and procedures for clients to follow;
Education: Graduate degree from an accredited nutrition program; or a Bachelor’s degree in Science, Nutrition or a related field from a University of recognized standing
Experience: Minimum three (3) years broad experience in nutrition care and extensive knowledge of theory, principles, and practical application of nutrition; Non-profit environment an asset
Language: Bilingual (English and French); written and oral communication
- In-depth knowledge of current nutrition science, current food nutrition issues, the determinants of health and health promotion principles and strategies; and nutrition throughout the lifecycle;
- Excellent facilitation, presentation, organizational, and collaboration skills;
- Demonstrated skills in program planning, implementation and evaluation techniques;
- Working knowledge of applicable occupational health and safety legislation;
- Knowledge of Ontario Public Health Standards, specifically in the area of Family Health Program Standards;
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills; communicate effectively with the public, all levels of staff, and clients experiencing varying levels of health distress (emotional, angry);
- Strong research and critical appraisal skills;
- Well-developed communication and report writing skills;
- Experience working with programming for children and youth an asset;
- Excellent computer skills and ability to troubleshoot with clients (tech support) in person or on the phone;
- Excellent customer service with the ability to build and nurture relationships;
- Ability to draft basic correspondence in both official languages;
- Ability to draft administrative policies and procedures in relation to nutrition programming when applicable;
- Proficient in MS Office Suite; ability to learn new software quickly;
- Operates office equipment, such as computer, photocopier, fax, and other office equipment;
- Strong prioritizing and organizing, project and time management skills; meets deadlines;
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Maintain confidentiality; be discreet, respectful and diplomatic;
- Possess strong analytical thinking and judgment and problem solving skills.
Conditions of Employment:
- One-year contractual position, full-time hours (37.5 per week).
- Occasional weekends and/or evenings may be required.
- The successful candidate will be asked to provide a current police records check.
- Rewarding position where you get the chance to establish a nutrition program
- Great people to work with in a supportive environment
- An environment of strong leaders, not bosses
- Flexible hours
- Knowing that you work for a Foundation that cares about the people and the community
If you are interested in applying for this position please send your cover letter and resume by August 8th 2014. Please submit your application by mail or email to:
Attention: Samantha Webster, Human Resources Manager
Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation
1500 Alta Vista Drive,
Ottawa, ON, K1G 3Y9
Position: Volunteer, part-time (3 positions available)
This position reports to Vice-President, Corporate Services.
Responsible for the overall cleanliness, tidiness and functioning of the Maplesoft Centre. This includes but is not limited to:
- Stocking supplies
- Monitoring the temperature
- Filling water coolers
- Maintaining the water feature
- Completing minor repairs and installations and ensuring proper systems are up and running at the change of season (water/BBQ/Fireplace/AC)
- Disposing of equipment
- Act as back-up for removal of snow and ice throughout the winter months
- Develop a tool kit
- Monitor logs for keys
- Monitor and cleaning
- Act as Health and Safety Representative
- Maintaining the organization of storage spaces
- Moving furniture for events and special functions
- Inventory equipment
- Performs routine inspections to ensure contractor performance and property site conditions are in keeping with all company policies, procedures and quality assurance.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in Property Management would be preferred.
- Experience in contract management an asset.
- Knowledge of software MS Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work on several issues at a time.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- General knowledge of building systems, construction practices and related code/legislative requirements would be an asset.
Given that the position needs to be filled immediately we will begin reviewing résumés upon receipt. Please send your résumé no later than March 20th at 5 p.m. indicating the position of interest “Volunteer -Custodian/Facilities Coordinator” in the subject line.
The recruitment process will include a few screening steps including but not limited to prospective candidates providing a current police records check. Only qualified candidates will be contacted by email or phone for an interview.
Please submit resume by mail, email or fax to:
Attention: Samantha Webster, Human Resources
Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation
1500 Alta Vista Dr
Ottawa, ON – K1G 3Y9