A charitable gift annuity is a “gift that gives something back”. It's a way of making a gift to help the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation increase cancer survivorship in our community, and in return get back a guaranteed income for life that can be largely or entirely tax-free. Charitable gift annuities can be especially appealing to people aged 70 or over and who are more concerned about financial security than income growth.
Benefits of a Charitable Gift Annuity:
- You may be eligible for a charitable tax receipt.
- A charitable gift annuity enables you to turn your taxable interest income into tax-free income.
- Guaranteed income that is safe and secure, without investment worries or management decisions.
- A charitable gift annuity offers an excellent alternative to GICs or bonds. You get the same income guarantee but with improved cash flow and reduced or eliminated tax on your income, providing peace of mind knowing that there will be a guaranteed, reliable source of tax-free income.
- A charitable gift annuity provides the satisfaction of seeing your gift working against cancer while you are still alive.
How does a Charitable Gift Annuity Work?
You donate a sum of money to the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation. The Cancer Foundation receives a portion of the sum immediately (usually between 25% and 35%) to help fund our key priorities: care close to home, shorter wait times, access to new therapies and overall improved quality of life.
The balance is used to purchase an annuity (single or joint) from one of the highest rated insurance companies.
From this annuity, you (and/or another named individual) receive regular, equal payments for life – guaranteed.
A gift annuity is a simple contract between you and the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation in which you exchange cash or securities for a fixed income for life – for any person you choose.
For more information on the Charitable Gift Annuity please contact the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation:
Director of Annual and Planned Giving
613.247.3527 ext. 233