Busting a Move for Breast Health
By Linda Eagen on April 10 / 2015
[Cancer, Events, News, Nutrition, Recipes]
WOW! What an incredible day! It was my absolute pleasure to get on the floor with our Bust a Move participants on Saturday, March 28 and I was so moved by their dedication to improving breast health in our region.
We laughed, we cried – but most of all, we moved, grooved and celebrated the lives of those affected by cancer in our community. It was truly an incredible experience to band together with our Bust a Move participants, sponsors, volunteers and donors – and at the end of the (exhausting and exhilirating!) day, we raised $236,672.78 – funds that will be invested in helping provide the best care and treatment for our loved ones through Cancer Coaching, Clinical Trials and Research.
We were blown away by our participants’ commitment to fundraising and health, and we wanted to exercise our bragging rights and share some numbers with our readers:
- 6 incredible hours of fitness (check out our Facebook Page for the photos!)
- $236,672.78 raised at Bust a Move 2015
- More than $1.25 Million raised through Bust a Move to date
- More than 200 participants and volunteers on the floor at the Ottawa Athletic Club
- 6 moving testimonials shared each hour from people in our community benefitting from the funds raised through Bust a Move (you can view the videos below)
And in case you missed the event (or if you’re like me and have been craving the yummy soup we had as part of our lunch), we also wanted to share an event day recipe, created by Patricia Jean-Vézina, Nutrition Coach for the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation.
President & CEO
Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation
CuRried Lentil Soup
Serves 8 (or multiply by 25 to serve our 200 Bust a Movers!)
- 1/2 pound red lentils
- 1/2 pound green lentils
- 1 large sautéed onion
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 package (5-ounce) dried apple rings, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley leaves
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (roasted)
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 2 cups apple juice
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- Salt to taste
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes. Toss lightly with olive oil. Roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Sauté onions
- Add all ingredients into a large soup pot except coconut milk, potatoes and red curry paste. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for one hour. Stirring occasionally. Add more liquid if needed – either water, broth or apple juice to taste.
- Once lentils are soft, add coconut milk, sweet potatoes and curry paste. Serve warm and enjoy!
For more recipes like this one, be sure to follow our Nutrition Coach on Twitter & Facebook – and check out the Nutrition Programs we offer.
Back to Blog Listing