Group Cancer Coaching sessions are led by one of our Cancer Coaches. It is a chance to meet others who have similar needs and goals. These groups are designed to help you through different stages of your cancer.
The programs change throughout the year. A list of the programs available to you can be found below. Please note that these programs are demand-based and will run dependent on the registration of our clients.
Group coaching programs
The parent(s) or guardian(s) must attend a preliminary orientation session for kids ages 6-15 prior to the beginning of the program.
This program was developed by the Children’s Treehouse Foundation, a non-profit foundation dedicated to the emotional support of children who have parents or a loved one living with cancer. The CLIMB® program at the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation offers group sessions during which conversation and art are used to help children ages 6-11 identify and appropriately express complex feelings. The aim is to build upon the child’s strengths and enhance his/her ability to cope with stress associated with the parent’s illness. Some of the benefits of this program include:
- An increase in the children’s knowledge about cancer and its treatment
- Normalization of feelings of sadness
- Children are better able to identify strengths and normalize anxiety
- Children are better equipped to express and manage anger appropriately
- Communications about feelings are improved
- Communications with the parents or loved one who have cancer are improved
Overall, children learn that cancer is “not their fault”, that they are not alone and they are better equipped to express feelings and cope with change.
The next offering will be Tuesday,November 5th to December 10th, 2019 from 6-7:30pm. The parent information session will be held on Tuesday, October 22nd 2019 at 6pm-7pm.
Location: 1500 Alta Vista Drive – Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation
*This program is currently offered at no cost to participants thanks to the generosity of supporters of the Lemonade Standemonium.
|Cost: No cost*
6-Week ProgramContact Us
- -Yoga Thrive is a research-based, therapeutic yoga program for all cancer patients, survivors, and their support persons.
- -This yoga program has been modified for cancer survivors, especially those who are experiencing stiffness, pain, stress, or fatigue.
- -Class sizes small (15 Maximum) to ensure individual attention and safety.
- -No previous yoga experience is necessary. The program is gentle and progressive. Each class builds on the previous classes.
- -Led by a certified yoga instructor trained in the Yoga Thrive program.
For more information on the Yoga Thrive program, please visit: https://www.ucalgary.ca/healthandwellnesslab/programs/yoga-thrive
- Who is eligible: Any cancer patient or survivor and their support person.
- Where: The Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation 1500 Alta Vista Dr. Ottawa
- When: Tuesdays 11:30-12:45 pm from September 10th to November 26th, 2019
- How to register: www.ottawacancer.ca or by calling 613-247-3527
- Cost: $90.00 for the 12-week program. no refunds for missed classes.
Yoga Thrive operates on a cost recovery basis, all proceeds go back into the program.