I’m sure you can recall a time when you were told to eat your vegetables and fruit. But have you ever asked yourself Why? Why are these foods so important to my health?
Vegetables and fruit are packed full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber, all known to help reduce your risk of chronic disease and maintain a healthy diet. Try to include a variety of colourful fruits and vegetables in your daily meals and snacks. Not only does it brighten up your plate but it also provides you with essential nutrients. See the tips below to start including more of these foods in your daily diet.
- Take advantage of the first meal of the day. Break the fast and add in berries, banana slices or grapes to your yogurt, oatmeal or cereal. It will provide a boost of colour and nutrition!
- Canned or frozen vegetables and fruit are just as nutritious as fresh produce and may be more convenient for you and your family. Choose canned fruit without syrup and no salt added canned vegetables.
- Switch the cookie jar to a fruit bowl. The visual reminder will keep you coming back for more!
- Snacks are a great way to meet your vegetable and fruit needs for the day. Try a handful of nuts and an apple, unsweetened applesauce or any vegetable of your choice with hummus.
- Substitute a lettuce wrap for a tortilla shell when making fajitas, tacos or wraps. It makes for a delicious, healthy and crunchy choice!
- Colourless meals are boring aren’t they?! Imagine your plate at dinner time, you want it to be at least half full of colorful vegetables – remember the more variety, the healthier!
For the latest news and information about nutrition, follow me on Twitter @Groundedcoach, Instagram @Groundedcoach, or Facebook GroundedCoach!
Here’s to living the grounded life,