Aruga-what? This aromatic peppery-flavored salad green isn’t used enough these days! Popular in Italian cuisine, it’s also known as rocket, roquette, rugula, and ruculo. This salad will get you hooked and arugula will provide you with vitamin A, vitamin K, Vitamin C, folate and calcium!
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
pinch cayenne pepper
1 ½ cups uncooked quinoa
1 English cucumber, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup carrot, grated
2 cups arugula, chopped
¼ cup green onions, chopped
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
⅓ cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp onion, grated
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place chickpeas in a ziplock bag and add olive oil, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne. Close the ziplock and shake well until chickpeas are evenly coated.
- Place the chickpeas onto a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes, until golden and crispy. Stir half way through.
- While the chickpeas are roasting, cook the quinoa as directed on package.
- When the quinoa has cooled, add the cucumber, cherry tomatoes, grated carrot, arugula, green onions and roasted chickpeas to the bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently fold the ingredients together.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Garnish individual portions with a lemon wedge.