2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 small can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, including the liquid
2 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth
1 can (5.5 oz) tomato paste
Garnish: avocado slices, cilantro
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, bell pepper and butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn translucent.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the garlic, chili powder, chopped chipotle pepper, cumin and cinnamon. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the bay leaf, beans, tomatoes and their juices, broth and tomato paste. Stir to combine and cover for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- You’ll know your chili is done when the butternut squash is nice and tender and the liquid has reduced a bit, producing a thicker chili consistency. Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve the chili topped with avocado slices, cilantro or any garnish of choice. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cookie and Kate