1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 ¾ cups carrot, peeled, grated (about 2 large carrots)
½ cup walnuts, chopped*
½ cup golden raisins, chopped
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425º
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Stir in the grated carrots, walnuts and raisins to the dry mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup and applesauce. Add in the eggs, yogurt and vanilla and whisk well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle muffins with leftover chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
* To make this recipe nut-free, substitute the walnuts with sunflower seeds