2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, diced
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup pearled barley
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
4 cups no-salt-added mushroom broth
4 cups no-salt-added beef broth*
1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
2 cups water or broth of choice
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp soy sauce
4 cups spinach leaves
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in onion, carrot and celery and sauté for 5-10 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add in garlic, barley, black pepper, dried basil and thyme and stir to combine. Cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add in remaining ingredients, other than spinach.
- Mix well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until barley and lentils are cooked to desired texture.
- Before serving, add in spinach and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until spinach has wilted down.
* Note: Option to replace with equal amount of mushroom broth to make this dish vegetarian.